Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 94 -- Saint Ambrose of Milan


But if these beings angels guard you, they do so because they have been summoned by your prayers.


I heard a great homily today about our saint...Saint Ambrose of Milan. He was born into Roman nobility around the year 340 (in present day Germany). He was a poet and a convert Christianity. Before he was even Christian people wanted him to become bishop of Milan. So he was baptized, ordained as a priest and consecrated as bishop. He immediately gave away his wealth to the Church and the poor, both for the good of doing it and as an example of his people he was about to lead. He was a gifted preacher and teacher, and a writer of liturgical hymns. His preaching even helped convert Saint Augustine of Hippo, who Ambrose baptized and brought into the Church. Since he was so well versed in his speaking and preaching, he was given the title of Honey Tongued Doctor and this is why bees and beehives are used in his iconography, which are symbols of wisdom. Therefore among many things he is the patron of bees, beekeepers, wax refiners, etc.

He died on Holy Saturday, April 4, 397 in Milan, Italy of natural causes. His relics are in the basilica of Milan. He was proclaimed a Doctor of the Church in 1298 by Pope Boniface VIII.


Prayer that We May Seek God and Find Him, by Saint Ambrose

Lord, teach me to seek you, and reveal yourself to me when I seek you. For I cannot seek you unless you first teach me, nor find you unless you first reveal yourself to me. Let me seek you in longing and long for you in seeking. Let me find you in love, and love you in finding.

No comments:

Post a Comment