Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day 91 -- Saint Giovanni Calabria


"Be living Gospels."

Not that I don't like to learn about the saints who lived hundreds of years ago, I do, but I like reading about the modern say saints. When I find "my" saint or when he/she finds me, I think he/she will be a modern day saint. Saint Giovanni Calabria was born on October 8, 1873 in Verona, Italy. He was a priest who opened homes for abandoned children throughout Italy. He was the founder of the Congregation of the Poor Servants of Divine Providence. And he was in frequent communication, in Latin, with C.S. Lewis. He died on December 4, 1954 in San Zeno, Italy. He was canonized on April 18, 1999 by Pope John Paul II.

I liked reading about his life for one reason because he lived in Italy his entire life. He was not called to be a missionary. In my action of my Catholic faith, I do not feel like I am called to be a missionary. I feel that I need to "Bloom Where I Was Planted" and I hope and pray I am doing a good job for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment