Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 89 -- Blessed Maria Angela Astorch


I usually try to make a Liturgical New Year's resolution. This year I have not decided yet, but I have been reading the USCCB's Advent calendar on their website. I have also ordered the Advent book from Magnificat--I hope it comes in soon. If I made decisions easier, I would have had it by now! One thing I have been wanted to learn how to do it pray the Liturgy of the Hours, so maybe I should pray to Blessed Maria Angela Astorch to help me.

Blessed Maria Angela was born on September 1, 1592 in Barcelona, Spain and was raised in a pious family. She entered the Poor Clare Capuchin nuns in Barcelona, Spain on September 16, 1603 and she made her religious profession on September 8, 1609. She was the novice mistress and director of formation. She founded a monastery in Zaragoza, Spain on May 9, 1614 and was made abbess in 1627. She then founded a monastery in Murcia, Spain on June 2, 1645 and she served as an abbess until 1661. She studied the sacred texts a lot in her spare time and the great Church writers, and it was here that she developed a profound understanding of the Breviary. She was a mystic and a visionary who could see and communicate with her guardian angel (hence the picture I have here).

She died on December 2, 1665 in Murcia, Spain. Her relics were damaged during the Spanish Civil War. She was beatified on May 23, 1982 by Pope John Paul II and awaits canonization. Below is a quote from Pope John Paul II from his homily at her beatification:

"From her we can learn to respect the ways of man, and at the same time make men open to the ways of God. She was able to respect the individuality of each person, helping the one concerned ‘to keep in step with God which means something different for each one. In this way, her profound understanding did not become inert tolerance."

No comments:

Post a Comment