Friday, December 24, 2010

Day 111 -- Saint Emiliana of Rome

I chose today's saint because Emiliana of Rome is one of the patrons of single laywomen and that is what I am and today is my birthday! There is a whole list of patron saints of single laywomen and I should really pray to them more as I continue to figure out God's plan for my life.

Emiliana was the daughter of the senator of Gordian and Saint Silvia of Rome. Other saints were also in her family: her sister was Saint Trasilla and the paternal aunt of Pope Saint Gregory the Great and the niece of Pope Saint Felix III. She spent so much time kneeling in prayer that her knees and elbows were locked from arthritis in that position. She and her sister lived as hermits in their father's house until Thrasilla's death. She received a vision from her recently deceased sister inviting her to depart from the vale of tears and Emiliana died a few days later. Her relics are in the Oratory of Saint Andrew on the Celian Hill in Rome.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to know her brief yet holy story. My full name is emiliana. Thank u

    ReplyDelete