Thursday, November 25, 2010

Day 82 -- Saint Catherine of Alexandria

Saint Catherine, victorious defender of the Faith and of purity, pray for us!

I first learned about Saint Catherine of Alexandria when I was in college. She was the patron saint of my table when I made my Encounter with Christ retreat. That weekend was truly a turning point in my life in finding Christ and finding myself in relationship to Christ, others, and myself. And most recently I relearned about Saint Catherine of Alexandria from a dear friend of mine.

Saint Catherine was born into nobility and she learned science and converted to Christianity after receiving a vision. At 18 years old she debated pagan philosophers and many were converted because of her arguments and then she was sentenced to be immediately martyred. Maximinus had her scourged and imprisoned. The leader of the army of Maximinus were amazed by the stories and went to see Catherine in prison and they were converted and martyred. Then Maximinus ordered her to be broken on a wheel, but when she touched it the wheel was destroyed. So she was beheaded and her body was taken away by angels. This was around the year 305.

Saint Catherine of Alenandria was popular in the Middle Ages and there are many chapels and churches devoted to her in Europe. She is reported as one of the divine advisors to Saint Joan of Arc.

She was a wise and learned woman and this led to her patronage of libraries, teachers and archivists and unmarried women, nurses, and potters. I think I will begin to pray to her to help me discover God's plan for me in my life. And since she argued and debated so well with the philosophers, this led to her patronage of lawyers and jurists. She is one of the Fourteen Holy Helpers and here is the Litany of the Fourteen Holy Helpers.

Today on Thanksgiving Day I give thanks for many things in my life...my family, friends, faith, Cursillo...so many people and things have helped me to understand I am loved and to show God's love to me. I thank God for all these things in my life.

PRAYER
Glorious Saint Catherine, virgin and martyr,
help me to imitate your love of purity.
Give me strength and courage
in fighting off the temptations of the world and evil desires.

Help me to love God with my whole heart and serve Him faithfully.

O Saint Catherine, through your glorious martyrdom for the love of Christ, help me to be loyal to my faith and my God as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment