Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 68 -- Saint Martin of Tours

“Lord, if your people still need me, I am ready for the task; your will be done.”


This afternoon I met with my advisor for my thesis and Saint Martin of Tours can maybe be the saint I pray to as I finish this up (I am writing about the RCIA Process). Martin was born around the year 316 into a pagan family and raised in Pavia, Italy and he was baptized at age 18. He really tried to live out his faith even to the point to not let his servant wait on him. He met a beggar on the street and all Martin had to give him was the clothes on his back, so he cut his officer's cloak in half and gave it to the beggar (represented in the icon here). Later, Martin had a vision of Christ wearing this cloak.

Before a battle, he announced that his faith prohibited him from fighting and he was charged with cowardice and jailed and the superiors planned to put him in the front line of the battle, but the battle never happened and he was released from the military.

On a trip to visit his parents, he was robbed, but he managed to convert one of the thieves and when he arrived home he found his mother had converted to Christianity, but his father had not.

In 361, Martin became a hermit for 10 years and had the reputation for holiness and he attracted other monks and they formed what would become a Benedictine Abbey. He preached and evangelized and many locals held strong to the old beliefs. Martin destroyed the old temples and built Churches on the same land and more converts came.

In 371 the bishop of Tours, France died and Martin was the immediate choice of replacement, but Martin declined stated his was unworthy. He was tricked to come to the city and he was declared bishop by popular demand and consecrated on July 4, 372. Even while bishop, he lived in a hermit's cell and other monks joined him.

He died on November 8, 397 in Tours, France of natural causes. At his request, he was buried in the Cemetery of the Poor on November 11, 397. His relics are at the basilica of Tours which is a place of pilgrimage for many and known miracles. But in 1562 the basilica and relics were destroyed by militant Protestants, but in 1860 small fragments of his tomb were found during an excavation.

Saint Martin is the patron of many things including, beggars, against alcoholism, Pontifical Swiss Guards, wine makers, the Archdiocese of Tours, France,

Here is a prayer Saint Martin of Tours wrote
"Prayer to Continue to Fight for God"

Lord, if your people still have need of my services, I will not avoid the toil. Your will be done. I have fought the good fight long enough. Yet if you bid me continue to hold the battle line in defense of your camp, I will never beg to be excused from failing strength. I will do the work you entrust to me. While you command, I will fight beneath your banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment