Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 58 -- All Saints Day



Since this is a saints blog, I have to write about All Saints Day. All Saints Day honors the saints known and unknown. Christians have been honoring the dead, saints and martyrs, since the 2nd century. Over the years as Christianity grew and became more universal. Saint John Chrysostom (AD407) assigned a day to the feast of all saints, which was the first Sunday after Pentecost. The current observance probably originates from the time of Pope Gregory III (d. 741) and was likely observed for the first time on November 1 in Germany. Having All Saints Day on November 1 may counteract the Irish festival of Samhain, the festival of light. I remember reading about this and doing research for a paper when I was taking a class in Ireland in 2003.

There are a few Scripture references to All Saints Day: Mark 12:26-27; Ephesians 6:18; Hebrews 12:1, Revelation 5:8, but none of them are the readings chosen for the readings of the day at Mass.

One of the popular songs that we sing at Mass at work on saints feast days is "For All the Saints."

Another tradition that I really like from the Catholic Church is the Litany of Saints. I actually have 2 versions in iTunes that I like to listen to. I found two on YouTube that I liked. The first here from Pope Benedict's visit with youth and seminarians in New York and the other is Matt Maher's version. I particularly liked the icons in this video.

Let us pray today for all the saints, recognized by the Church and not recognized, for all the holy men and women who have made the Church what it is today. And I pray for that saint to find me so I can have a special devotion to him or her.

"We should not only want to be with the saints, we should also hope to possess their happiness. While we desire to be in their company, we must also earnestly seek to share in their glory. Do not imagine that there is anything harmful in such an ambition as this; there is no danger in setting our hearts on such glory." ~Saint Bernard of Clairvaux

No comments:

Post a Comment