Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 78 -- Saint Albert of Louvain


Most people join a religious order after having had another career, but Saint Albert of Louvain joined a religious order at age 12, but at age 21 he became a knight under Count Baldwin V who was a enemy of his native Brabant. He talked of going on a Crusade, but religious life was calling him again and this was true vocation.

He became archdeacon of Brabant, then was ordained a priest, and then bishop in 1191. There were still tensions in the area especially with the king's knights and Albert was murdered on November 21 on the road outside of Rheims. He was buried there, but then his relics were transferred to a Carmelite convent in Brussels in 1612. Some of his relics are located in the cathedral in Leige, Belgium in 1822.

I often think and pray what God wants me to do with my life and I often wonder, like Saint Albert, if there is something more the Lord is calling me to do in this life. I continue to pray about this and ask for His help.

No comments:

Post a Comment