Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 61 -- Saint Charles Borromeo


Saint Charles Borromeo

Born
Morning of Wednesday, October 2, 1538 in the castle at Aron in the Diocese of Novara, Italy

Died

at 8:30pm on November 3, 1584 of a fever in Milan, Italy. He was buried in the metropolitan cathedral of Milan

Canonized
November 1, 1610 by Pope Paul V

Saint Charles was an abbot and cardinal.

He is the patron of many things, including: against colic, against ulcers, against abdominal pain, apple orchards, bishops, catechists, catechumens, seminarians, and spiritual directors.

Today I pray for the catechumens in our Diocese and for my spiritual director as she has done so much in my life to bring me closer to the Lord and to help me increase my relationship and friendship with him and myself.


O Saintly reformer, animator of spiritual renewal of priests and religious, you organized true seminaries and wrote a standard catechism. Inspire all religious teachers and authors of catechetical books. Move them to love and transmit only that which can form true followers of the Teacher who was divine. Amen.


"If we wish to make any progress in the service of God we must begin every day of our life with new eagerness. We must keep ourselves in the presence of God as much as possible and have no other view or end in all our actions but the divine honor."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gina, Is this quote "If we wish to make any progress..." from Saint Borromeo? We had a men's ministry this evening (Thursday) and we discussed this very topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bob it is from Saint Charles. The quotes I post on the page are from the saint I write about.

    ReplyDelete