Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 80 -- Blessed Miguel Pro


It is amazing to know there are martyrs and saints in our day and age. Blessed Miguel Pro was one of them. From an early age, he had an affinity for helping the poor and was known for his cheerfulness. Born in a pious home, Miguel was born on January 13, 1891 in Zacatecas, Mexico and had a recurring stomach disorder. He joined the novices at age 20 and he was exiled during the Mexican Revolution and finished his studies abroad and was ordained in 1925 in Belgium at age 36. He returned to Mexico the following year. This was a time in Mexico when churches were closed, priests were hiding, and persecution of the Church was a government policy. Father Miguel disguised himself in an underground ministry to bring comfort and the sacraments to the faithful.

In 1927, he was falsely accused of a bombing attempt and he became a wanted man, betrayed to the police, and without a trial was sentenced to death. The photo here was taken on the day of her martyrdom. As he was about to be shot, he forgave his executioners, refused a blindfold and died shouting “Long live Christ the King!” The government prohibited a public funeral, but the faithful lined the streets when his body passed. He died on November 23, 1927 in Mexico City. He was beadified on September 25, 1988 by Pope John Paul II.

I think that takes great faith and courage for them as well knowing how Father Miguel was martyred that they would publicly display their love for their priest.


There is a chaplet of Blessed Miguel Pro which I thought was very nice and would like to pray it on a regular basis.


I believe, O Lord, but strengthen my faith.

Heart of Jesus, I love Thee; but increase my love.

Heart of Jesus, I trust in Thee; but give greater vigor to my confidence.


Heart of Jesus, I give my heart to Thee; but so enclose it in Thee that it may never be separated from Thee.


Heart of Jesus, I am all Thine; but take care of my promise so that I may be able to put it in practice even unto the complete sacrifice of my life.

- Miguel Agustin Pro

No comments:

Post a Comment