Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 55 -- Saint Gaetano Errico


"Let us kindle the love of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in the hearts of all people."



Here is another example of a saint who is from Italy, and Naples where my great-grandmother, Nana, was from. She was the greatest influence over our family in terms of food. And my brother gets is musical talen
t from her. She played the keyboard, and when she lived with us for 6 months when I was in 7th grade I remember Michael and her playing duets.

Saint Gaetano Errico was born in Naples on October 19, 1791 to Pasquale and Marie; he was one of 9 children. He was a good child and ready to help his father at the pasta factory or help his mother with his younger siblings. At age 14 he felt called to the priesthood and since he was so young he was turned away from the Capuchins and Redemptorists. He, at age 16, then turned to a diocesan seminary in Naples, and walked 5 miles to class each day, and was ordained at at 23 on September 23, 1815.

For 20 years he was a teacher and a parish priest at Saint Cosmas and Damien Parish. He was known for his devotion to the Sacrament of Reconciliation and ministry to the sick. He made annual retreats to the Redemptorist house in Pagani and it was during one of these retreats in 1818 that Saint Alphonsus Maria de Liguori appeared to him in a vision and he told Gaetano that God wanted him to build a new church and found a religious order. Initially the locals were strongly supported this effort, but once the work and fund-raising had to start it faded and the church was not dedicated and blessed until December 9, 1830. Our Lady of Sorrows at Secondigliano has become one of Italy's most popular pilgrimage spots.

Near the church, Gaetano built a small house for himself a lay brother who took care of the church and this was the beginning of the Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. They received local approval on March 14, 1836, approval by the Bishops on June 30, 1838, and papal approval by Blessed Pope Pius IX on August 7, 1846. Gaetano served as the first Superior General. He died of natural causes in his hometown of Secondigliano in Naples on October 29, 1860. He was canonized on October 12, 2008 by Pope Benedict XVI.

He story reminds me of me (well only a small part!). I am 31 and have lived in my hometown my whole life so far and I really do not think I would ever move too far from my hometown. I have "bloomed where I was planted."

No comments:

Post a Comment