Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 38 -- Saint Fiace

With today's saint I am reminded of my trip to Ireland in 2003. That was such a great trip and we saw so much of the beautiful country. I have so many memories of those 3 weeks. As I think back on it, it was a trip that really helped me step out of my comfort zone and do things on my own and really started my love for traveling. Plus I had a great traveling partner!

Saint Fiace was the only child of his parents. He was born in 415 in Ireland, he converted to Catholicism, and ordained by Saint Patrick and was then named a missionary bishop by Saint Patrick. When I was in Ireland I went to the Hill of Tara where it is said that Saint Patrick preached and converted many people. Saint Fiace founded churches and monasteries of Domnach-Fiech and Sletty. During Lent he always went on a severe fast. He was also a poet and may have been the author of the earliest biography of Saint Patrick which was written in Irish. Saint Fiace suffered in pain for many years prior to his death in 520, but continued to travel right up to his death.

No comments:

Post a Comment