Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 53 --Blessed Bartholomew of Vicenza


I think of all the saints who have known or met saints in their lifetime. I think how awesome could that be if I could meet a saint. That could have happened to me a couple weeks ago when I went to a retreat day with Fr. Benedict Groeschel. I pray the Lord make me into the person so I can be a saint and Jesus to someone today.

Blessed Bartholomew of Vicenza received his Dominican habit right from Saint Dominic himself at age 20. He was a notable preacher and became bishop of Limassol, Cyprus in 1253. Three years later he became bishop of Vincenza and he worked as a peace maker. It was there that he founded a military order whose purpose was to keep civil peace in towns throughout Italy. He was friend to King Louis IX. He was such a noted preached that he preached at the second translation of the relics of Saint Dominic in 1267. He died in 1270 at age 70 and was beatified in 1793 and he still has not been canonized.

No comments:

Post a Comment