Thursday, October 7, 2010

Day 33 -- Saint Justina of Padua


What prayers do you pray? What is your prayer life like? Do you like rote prayer? Do you meditate? Do you spend time in adoration or with the Blessed Sacrament? Do you pray the rosary? I like many of the above, especially the Mass and spending time with Jesus in a quiet Church. Today we celebrate the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary and I hope and pray I can come to love the rosary more. I did just buy a CD with of Our Lady of Guadalupe Rosary by Dana and Msgr. Chavez and I really like it thus far.

But the saint who I would like to talk about today is Justina of Padua. There is not much known about her, but she is the patron of Padua and there is a basilica named after her. As a young woman she took a private vow of chastity and devotion to God. Some medieval documents describe her as a disciple of Saint Peter the Apostle, but that is impossible since she was martyred in the year 304. The only thing I could think of is that she was a disciple of St. Peter the way we are all disciples of Jesus.

In art, she is sometimes depicted as a nun, but she never was and some artists may have her confused with Saint Scholastica (twin sister to Saint Benedict). And there are many depictions of Justina of Padua and one is a young woman with a unicorn (which I had no idea that it symbolizes virginity).

No comments:

Post a Comment