Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 3 - Blessed Eugenia Picco

Today is my brother's birthday. It is hard to imagine that 27 years ago my life was blessed with the greatest gift I ever received = Michael Vincent Donnarummo. I gave my parents a card yesterday thanking them for him. We are siblings, but we are also good friends and I treasure that. I think I treasure it more now that we are older and that we do not see each other every day. Like my spiritual director said to me the other day "it's when we don't have something all the time that we love it more when we to have it."

Today's saint's parents were musicians--just like Michael. Blessed Eugenia Picco lived mostly with her grandparents and when she did live with her mom, it was a morally corrupt environment. Eugenia spent many hours praying at the nearby Basilica of Saint Ambrose, then at age 20 she felt called to religious life and joined the Congregation of the Little Daughters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary in Milan, Italy and professed her final vows in 1894. Her life consisted of working for her Order and for the poor, especially children. She helped with the formation of the Sisters in her Order and had a love of the Eucharist. Eugenia was a courageous woman. She suffered from a degenerative bone disease and eventually she had to have her right leg amputated.

I hope and pray I can be courageous like Blessed Eugenia Picco and be able to YES to the Lord when He calls me. It seems scary to make a life-long commitment to something, but if it is for the good of the world and our Lord's doing, isn't it the right thing to say yes?

(November 8, 1867 to September 7, 1921)

"As Jesus has chosen bread, which is very common, so must my life be, common, approachable by all and, at the same time, humble and hidden, like bread."

This is a song my brother wrote--it is my favorite one that he has written so far!
http://www.mvdmusicstudio.com/MVD_Music_Studio/Mikes_Music/Pages/For_Her-Love.html

No comments:

Post a Comment