Sunday, July 31, 2011

Day 330 -- Saint Ignatius of Loyola


Today we have another patron of World Youth Day 2011, who has done a lot for the lives of Catholics around the world and down through the centuries: Saint Ignatius of Loyola. He was born in 1491 in Loyola, Spain as Inigo Lopez de Loyola. He was born to Spanish nobility and the youngest of 12 children. He received a military education and was a soldier and entered the army in 1517. He was wounded in the leg by a cannonball on May 20, 1521. This injury left him partially crippled for life. During his recuperation the only books he read were The Golden Legend, which is a collection of biographies of the saints and the Life of Christ. These books and the time in contemplation, changed him.

With his recovery, he took a vow of chastity, hung his sword before the altar of the Virgin of Montserrat and wore pilgrim's clothes. He lived in a cave for two years and contemplated the way to life a Christian life. He made a pilgrimage to Rome and the Holy Land in 1523, and worked to convert Muslims. He began studying theology in Barcelona and Alcala, and Paris, France in 1528. He received his degree in 1534. His prayers, visions, and insights led to the formation of the Constitutions of the Society of Jesus on August 15, 1534 and it received papal approval in 1541. He and his friends, including Saint Francis Xavier formed the core group of the Society. He never used the term Jesuit, that was only coined as an insult by his opponents, but today they use that term with pride. Today the Jesuits have over 500 universities and college, 30,000 members, and educate over 200,000 students each year. Saint Ignatius traveled Europe and then his health suffered later in life and was nearly blind at the time of his death on July 31, 1556 in Rome. He was canonized on March 12, 1622.

I think I will be adding this prayer to my personal prayers for WYD as one from a patron of the event.

Anima Christi
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me.
Separated from Thee let me never be.
From the malignant enemy, defend me.
At the hour of death, call me.
And close to Thee bid me.
That with Thy saints I may be
Praising Thee, forever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment