Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 310 -- Saint Benedict of Nursia


Today we remember one of the greatest saints, Saint Benedict of Nursia is the Father of Western Monasticism. He, and his twin sister, Saint Scholastica, were born around the year 480 in Narsia, Italy. They were born into Roman nobility. He studied in Rome, but was dismayed by the lack of discipline by his fellow students. He fled to the mountains to live as a hermit in a cave for three years. He founded the monastery in Monte Cassino and it was here the he wrote the Rule for his order. His discipline was so strict that some monks tried to poison him (nice, Christian people). He returned to the cave, but still attracted followers and eventually established twelve monasteries. At one point there were over 40,000 monasteries guided by the Benedictine Rule. The summary of the Rule is "pray and work." He died on March 21, 547 of a fever while in prayer. He was buried beneath the high altar in the same tomb as his sister, Saint Scholastica. He was canonized in 1220 by Pope Honorius III.

He is the patron of many things including: farmers, monks, school children, and against gall stones. Coincidentally enough, it was four years ago today that I had my gall bladder removed. I thank Saint Benedict for the successful surgery. I also thank my dad for being there for me, on his birthday, too!

Prayer by Saint Benedict for the Gifts to Seek God and Live in Him
Father, in your goodness grant me the intellect to comprehend you, the perception to discern you, and the reason to appreciate you. In your kindness endow me with the diligence to look for you, the wisdom to discover you, and the spirit to apprehend you. In your graciousness bestow on me a heart to contemplate you, ears to hear you, eyes to see you, and a tongue to speak of you. In your mercy confer on me a conversation pleasing to you, the patience to wait for you, and the perseverance to long for you. Grant me a perfect end - your holy presence. Amen.

"Prayer ought to be short and pure, unless it be prolonged by the inspiration of Divine grace."

No comments:

Post a Comment