Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 328 -- Saint Martha


Today we celebrate a saint who I think I act like sometimes, Saint Martha. In my office, I have a image of Martha and her sister Mary with Jesus. She reminds me that even though I do lots of things, that I have to be more like Mary, and sit at the feet of Jesus and just be and remember that the Lord wants to teach me lots of things, and I can learn more when I am still and in his presence. I love the time that I can have in adoration with our Lord. I am blessed to have a friend who meets me every Monday afternoon for adoration, and as we go more and more, the time goes by faster, and I look forward to being there and going often. It is like being with a friend--when you make a good friend you want to spend so much time with that person to develop that relationship. I am so blessed that I have a friend like that in my life and I also have my friend in Jesus.

Saint Martha lived in the first century and died around the year 80. She was also the sister of Lazarus who Jesus raised from the dead. Saint Martha, may even have been part of an early mission to France. It is remarkable to think of the early saints travelling to places where we can visit still today.

She is the patron of cooks, butlers, innkeepers, and single laywomen (I am so happy to find my patron saint!).


Martha and Mary were sisters, related not only by blood but also by religious aspirations. They stayed close to our Lord and both served him harmoniously when he was among them. Martha welcomed him as travelers are welcomed. But in her case, the maidservant received her Lord, the creature her Creator, to serve him bodily food while she was to be fed by the Spirit. No one of you should say, “Blessed are they who have deserved to receive Christ into their homes!” Do not grieve or complain that you were born in a time when you can no longer see God in the flesh. He did not in fact take this privilege from you. As he says, “Whatever you have done to the least of my brothers, you did to me.” - from a sermon by Saint Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment