Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 268 -- Saint Joan of Arc


Today we remember one of my favorite saints for her bravery and her heroism, Saint Joan of Arc, who was burned at the stake at the young age of 19. She was born on January 6, 1412 in Lorraine, France. She was a shepherdess and a mystic. At the age of 13 she started to receive visions from Saint Margaret of Antioch, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, and Saint Michael the Archangel.

In the 15th century, England controlled most of what is modern-day France. In May 1428, Joan's visions told her to find the true king of France and help him to reclaim his throne. For more than three years she resisted, but she finally went to Charles VII and told him of her visions. While carrying a banner that read "Jesus, Mary" she led troops from one battle to another. Her victories from February 23, 1429 to May 23, 1430 brought Charles VII to his throne, even though she was severely wounded. She was captured by the Burgundians and was sold to the English for 10,000 Francs. She was put on trial by an ecclesiastical court conduced by the Bishop of Beauvais, a supported of England and was executed on May 30, 1431 as a heretic. In 1456 her case was re-tried and Joan was acquitted--too bad it was 23 years too late. She was canonized on May 16, 1920 by Pope Benedict XV. She is patron of captives, France, martyrs, imprisoned people, rape victims, soldiers, and people ridiculed for their piety.

Mark Twain wrote an essay about Saint Joan of Arc.


PRAYER
In the face of your enemies, in the face of harassment, ridicule, and doubt, you held firm in your faith. Even in your abandonment, alone and without friends, you held firm in your faith. Even as you faced your own mortality, you held firm in your faith. I pray that I may be as bold in my beliefs as you, St. Joan. I ask that you ride alongside me in my own battles. Help me be mindful that what is worthwhile can be won when I persist. Help me hold firm in my faith. Help me believe in my ability to act well and wisely. Amen.



“About Jesus Christ and the Church, I simply know they’re just one thing, and we shouldn’t complicate the matter.” -Saint Joan of Arc, at her trial

No comments:

Post a Comment