Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 239 -- Saint Joseph the Worker


Today we celebrated the beatification of Pope John Paul II and Divine Mercy Sunday, but our saint of the day will be Saint Joseph the Worker. Saint Joseph has been part of my entire life by first being baptized at Saint Joseph Parish, attending Saint Joseph School, then Saint Joseph College. He represents what a real man should be. When I was laid off from my job and began a new job six months later I began working at the Catholic Center on May 1, 2006.

Saint Joseph was a carpenter by trade and Jesus followed in his footsteps with that trade. He was the earthly spouse of Blessed Virgin Mary and foster father of Jesus. He received visions from angels telling of God's plan for his life with Mary and Jesus. He is written about in the Gospels, but says not a word. He is particularly noted for his willingness to immediately get up and do what God wants him to do. I pray today, to have the the vigor like Saint Joseph to do what the Lord wants me to do for Him and His Church. It is not know when Joseph died, but it is assumed before Jesus began his public ministry and passion. The name Joseph means "whom the Lord adds."

Saint Joseph is patron of many people, countries dioceses, and cities:
--against hesitation (I need that one a lot!!)
--travelers
--unborn children
--Vatican II

--the Americas
--Mexico
--Peru
--Korea

--Archdiocese of Hartford, CT
--Diocese of Virac, Philippines



Prayer to Know One's Vocation
O Great Saint Joseph, you were completely obedient to the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Obtain for me the grace to know the state of life that God in his providence has chosen for me. Since my happiness on earth, and perhaps even my final happiness in heaven, depends on this choice, let me not be deceived in making it.
Obtain for me the light to know God's Will, to carry it out faithfully, and to choose the vocation which will lead me to a happy eternity.


PRAYER
Blessed Joseph, husband of Mary, be with us this day.
You protected and cherished the Virgin; loving the Child Jesus as your Son, you rescued Him from the danger of death. Defend the Church, the household of God, purchased by the blood of Christ. Guardian of the Holy Family, be with us in our trials. May your prayers obtain for us the strength to flee from error and wrestle with the powers of corruption so that in life we may grow in holiness and in death rejoice in the crown of victory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment