Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 231 -- Blessed Maria Gabriella


"My desire is nothing else but to love."


Blessed Maria Gabriella was born into a family of shepherds in 1914 in Sardinia, Italy and was described as obstinate, critical, and rebellious-- but also loyal and obedient. At 18 she became gentler, became involved in prayer and charity and joined "Azione Cattolic" a Catholic youth movement. At 21 she entered the Trappestine monastery of Grottaferrata. When she was accepted her attitude was "now do what You will." When her Community explained a request for prayer and offering, she felt compelled to offer her young life to the cause. She suddenly developed tuberculosis and only 15 months later, it took her life. She died on April 23, 1939 during vespers. Her body was found incorrupt in 1957. Her relics are in the chapel of the monastery of Vitorchiano. She was beatified on January 25, 1983. She is the patron against bodily ills, against death of parents, and against poverty. For more information check out her website.


In simplicity of heart I gladly offer everything, O Lord. The Lord put me on this path, he will remember to sustain me in battle. To His mercy I entrust my frailty. I saw in front of me a big cross..., I thought that my sacrifice was nothing in comparison to His. I offered myself entirely and I do not withdraw the given word. God's will whatever it may be, this is my joy, my happiness, my peace. I will never be able to thank enough. I cannot say but these words:" My God, your Glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment