Sunday, August 28, 2011

Day 358 -- Saint Augustine of Hippo


"I will suggest a means whereby you can praise God all day long, if you wish. Whatever you do, do it well, and you have praised God."

Today we remember a saint who I should pray to every day and for my mission at work. Saint Augustine of Hippo is the patron saint of the Diocese of Bridgeport. Saint Augustine was born on November 13, 354 in Numidia, North Africa as Aurelius Augustinus. His father was a pagan who converted on his death bed and his mother is Saint Monica who was a devout Christian. He was raised Christian, but lost his faith as a youth and then led a wild life. From the ages of 15 to 30 he lived with a woman and fathered a son named Adeotadus, which means gift of God. He investigated and experimented with several philosophies.

After the prayers of his mother and Saint Ambrose of Milan for many years, he converted and Ambrose baptized him. After his mother died, he returned to Africa, sold his property and gave the proceeds to the poor and founded a monastery. He became a monk, priest, preacher and then bishop of Hippo in 396. He founded religious communities and fought against heresies. He is a Doctor of the Church. One of his famous line (which is also my screensaver at work) is "Our hearts were made for You, O Lord, and they are restless until they rest in You." He died on August 28, 430 in Hippo.

Saint Augustine's famous books include Confessions and City of God.

Below are some of Saint Augustine's famous prayers:

Prayer to Holy Spirit
Breathe in me O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy; Act in me O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy; Draw my heart O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy; Strengthen me O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy; Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy. Amen.

Act of Hope
For your mercies' sake, O Lord my God, tell me what you are to me. Say to my soul: "I am your salvation." So speak that I may hear, O Lord; my heart is listening; open it that it may hear you, and say to my soul: "I am your salvation." After hearing this word, may I come in haste to take hold of you. Hide not your face from me. Let me see your face even if I die, lest I die with longing to see it. The house of my soul is too small to receive you; let it be enlarged by you. It is all in ruins; do you repair it. There are thing in it - I confess and I know - that must offend your sight. But who shall cleanse it? Or to what others besides you shall I cry out? From my secret sins cleanse me, O Lord, and from those of others spare your servant. Amen.

Prayer to Seek God Continually
O Lord my God, I believe in you, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Insofar as I can, insofar as you have given me the power, I have sought you. I became weary and I labored.

O Lord my God, my sole hope, help me to believe and never to cease seeking you. Grant that I may always and ardently seek out your countenance. Give me the strength to seek you, for you help me to find you and you have more and more given me the hope of finding you.

Here I am before you with my firmness and my infirmity. Preserve the first and heal the second.

Here I am before you with my strength and my ignorance. Where you have opened the door to me, welcome me at the entrance; where you have closed the door to me, open to my cry; enable me to remember you, to understand you, and to love you. Amen.

Prayer to Our Lady, Mother of Mercy
Blessed Virgin Mary, who can worthily repay you with praise and thanks for having rescued a fallen world by your generous consent! Receive our gratitude, and by your prayers obtain the pardon of our sins. Take our prayers into the sanctuary of heaven and enable them to make our peace with God.

Holy Mary, help the miserable, strengthen the discouraged, comfort the sorrowful, pray for your people, plead for the clergy, intercede for all women consecrated to God. May all who venerate you feel now your help and protection. Be ready to help us when we pray, and bring back to us the answers to our prayers. Make it your continual concern to pray for the people of God, for you were blessed by God and were made worthy to bear the Redeemer of the world, who lives and reigns forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment