Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 282 -- Saint Anthony of Padua


Saint Anthony of Padua was born in 1195 in Lisbon, Portugal to a wealthy family, but for Christ he became a poor Franciscan priest. He lived in a cave and only left to attend Mass and to sweep the monastery nearby. One day when a speaker didn't show up, his brothers pressed him into speaking and they were so impressed that after that he was traveling, evangelizing, preaching and teaching throughout Italy and France and he attracted crowds everywhere he went. He died on June 13, 1231.

He was canonized on May 30, 1232. He was proclaimed a Doctor of the Church in 1946 and he is a beloved saint of the Church. Saint Anthony is the saint so many Catholics pray to help find lost items. Here is a description about that legend: "Long after Anthony’s death, his old prayer book was kept as a treasured relic, and one day it disappeared. People prayed for help in finding the lost item, a novice found it and returned it; he later admitted that he had “borrowed” the book and returned it after receiving a vision of an angry Anthony."


There are many prayers to Saint Anthony, but I liked this one the best "Prayer for Help to the Holy Spirit"
O God, send forth your Holy Spirit into my heart that I may perceive, into my mind that I may remember, and into my soul that I may meditate. Inspire me to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy. Teach, guide and direct my thoughts and senses from beginning to end. May your grace ever help and correct me, and may I be strengthened now with wisdom from on high, for the sake of your infinite mercy. Amen.


"Actions speak louder than words; let your words teach and your actions speak. It is useless for a man to flaunt his knowledge of the law if he undermines its teaching by his actions."

No comments:

Post a Comment