Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 155 -- Saint Paul Miki



Saint Paul Miki was born in 1562 in Japan to a wealthy, military family. He felt called to religious life in his youth and he joined the Jesuits in 1580. Politics made Christianity hostile, but he decided to continue his ministry, and he was arrested. He and other Christians, fellow martyrs, were imprisoned and marched 600 miles. They were abused but they sang Te Deum on the way. His last sermon was given from the cross. He was crucified on February 5, 1597 in Nagasaki, Japan. He was canonized on June 8, 1862 by Pope Pius IX.

Here is Mozart's version of Te Deum.

"The only reason for my being killed is that I have taught the doctrine of Christ. I thank God it is for this reason that I die. I believe that I am telling the truth before I die. I know you believe me and I want to say to you all once again: Ask Christ to help you become happy. I obey Christ. After Christ's example, I forgive my persecutors. I do not hate them. I ask God to have pity on all, and I hope my blood will fall on my fellow men as a fruitful rain."

No comments:

Post a Comment